Our purpose in publishing this booklet is to provide a religious study program specifically for Unitarian Universalist boys who are active in the Webelos program of Cub Scouting.
The Religion & Family Award Program has the following goals:
- Provide UU Webelos Scouts with a basic understanding of UU history and principles.
- Highlight the connections between UU principles and scouting values.
- Encourage UU Webelos Scouts to begin formulating their own religious beliefs and philosophies.
- Help UU Webelos Scouts understand how our faith differs from that of most of the Scouts around them and what it shares with those faiths.
- Foster meaningful religious conversations between UU Webelos Scouts and their parents or adult partners.
The Religion & Family Award Program requires the Webelos Scout to work closely with an adult partner to begin defining his own religious views and heritage. It also requires that he talk to other people at your UU church or fellowship.
Our intention is that your Webelos Scout will work through the exercises in this book himself, but that he will have adult support and assistance.